Betsy Loeb

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Week One Essay #78689
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    Thank you so much for the article and the thought-provoking questions.
    My first thought (and not my best thought in this case) is that Pema Chodron and you Susan Piver are my gurus. However, as I re-read the article, I don’t think that is the case. Though I learn so much from listening and reading both your works, it’s not that “our mind becomes one with the mind of the Lama”.
    How and where to develop devotion? I believe it is to continue to study the dharma mostly as taught through Pema and Susan and to continue to have a regular siting meditation. As the article mentions, “Such differences do not exist. This is really the secret of meditation.” I think it is to continue to actively participate with OHP, and that overtime maybe a lama will reveal itself to me. I don’t think I can make it happen. I think that’s where the letting go and relaxing will be of benefit.
    I am devoted to my daughters, to my grandsons, to my family and to my close friends. I am devoted to my spiritual path by continuing to study the dharma, to practice sitting and to be with fellow travelers (OHP Sangha and my local Shambhala Sangha). I am devoted to the 3 jewels: the Buddha, the dharma and the Sangha. I am devoted to PEACE, kindness and curiosity; to not giving up. I think our world needs love and compassion, and I’d like to be one small part in helping that spread.
    Thank you.

    in reply to: Please introduce yourself: #78578
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    Hi! My name is Betsy Loeb. I live in Columbus, OH. I have been meditating for about 15 years. I’m part of our local Shambhala Sangha and joined OHP I think at the beginning of the pandemic. I have been retired for 10 years. I have 2 grown daughters and 3 grandsons: Ezra, 9 years and his brother Oliver 6.5 yrs and they live in Philadelphia, PA. My other grandson Sam, 6.5 years lives a few blocks away. I look forward to deepening my practice and potentially teaching if it seems like the right thing to do. I’m eager to meet all of you.

    in reply to: Week Seven Essay Question #77727
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    I’ve been thinking of creating an arrangement besides what I already have on my shrine. However, I’ve yet to get inspired to put something together.

    I did want to give a “shout out” to the video interview with Kevin Townley. I learned so much regarding the 5 Buddha family energies and the value for me to familiarize myself with these as they may permanate my being and when I feel like I want to destroy them. Thank you, thank you, Kevin, for your brilliance and “simple” way that you gave explanation to these.

    in reply to: Week Six Essay Question #77663
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    Brenda, What a stunning photo of the morning sun! Do you live near this? Do you get to see this often? Thanks for sharing this photo!

    in reply to: Week Six Essay Question #77662
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    Penelope, I must say your room is outstanding! So lovely, peaceful and inviting. Thanks for sharing this photo!

    in reply to: Week Six Essay Question #77657
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    One day this past week we had the biggest, loudest hail storm ever!! (I took photos but don’t know how to upload.) It was brief, but powerful. I link that with Vajra Family…blue, anger (it came down with a vengeance, shiny (mirror-like wisdom) and element of water.
    This was a fun exercise to do.

    Betsy

    in reply to: Week Three Essay Question #77356
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    Dear Jake,
    Thank you for your reflections on “exertion”. Beautifully expressed; and has lots of relatability for me. Hope you continue to have your “heart ablaze”!
    Betsy

    in reply to: Week Three Essay Question #77355
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    Hi, Laura
    Thank you for your sweet comments. Connectivity is so important to me.
    How are you doing with “generosity”?
    I must say, it’s not been top of my mind as I’ve been dealing with some undiagnosed pain. However, now upon reflection, the generosities I’ve been receiving has blown my mind. Neighbors who I hardly knew: walking my dog daily for over a week, as example.
    “Buckeye” Betsy (though I’m not originally from Columbus, though have lived here 40 yrs!!, so “Buckeye” doesn’t quite fit for me. But brought a smile to my face.

    in reply to: Week Three Essay Question #77242
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    Dear Ann,
    I just read your response about compassion. And, how difficult it is to have self-compassion especially as you struggle with physical problems. I now can relate very much with this. For the last week I’ve been in lots of pain. The doc seems to think it is aggravated osteoarthritis of the hip. However, with pain meds of Celebrex I’m hardly getting much relief. I certainly need to work on patience as well. He has suggested that it might take a week to feel better and I’ve only started the meds since Monday eve.

    in reply to: Week Three Essay Question #77196
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    My focus this past week has been on “generosity”. I’ve noticed it more with little things that I can do or not say…it doesn’t need to be about me. Then I’ve noticed how others are generous with me. Giving and receiving generosity brings such a spark of beauty to my life.
    Betsy, Columbus, OH

    in reply to: Week Three Essay Question #77194
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    How beautiful, Brenda, that you dedicated your practice to the families of those who lost their lives in Baltimore. So generous!
    Betsy

    in reply to: Week Three Essay Question #77193
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    Hi, David
    Thank you for sharing your Discipline.I don’t think it is a small change. It’s not easy to change routines. Best to you.
    Betsy from Columbus, OH USA

    in reply to: Week Two Essay Question #77083
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    Hi, Brenda
    I find that transitions in life are very challenging.
    Especially as I get older, I expect that I would get wiser. When I was younger I don’t think I realized how making decisions are so important…I had more of a carefree attitude.
    So, I appreciate the difficulty that you and your husband are in the midst of.
    Wishing you well in this next phase along the path,
    Betsy

    in reply to: Week Two Essay Question #77082
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    Hi, Lynne
    How fortunate that you and yours found a place that works well for you. Curious…do you have any suggestions on what that process was for you? How long did it take?
    I ask these questions since I’ve just begun that journey of seeking an independent living place.
    Thank you,
    Betsy

    in reply to: Week Two Essay Question #77081
    Betsy Loeb
    Participant

    My large concern: getting old (I’m now 75 years old) and considering whether I should stay in my home of 40 years. How do I feel? Scared, claustrophobic with the feelings and alone.
    Yes. When I mix it with the first three Noble Truths of aging and impermanence I feel less crazy. This is reality. However, time has gone by so quickly and in my head I don’t feel old, so that I have a hard time realizing that I need to figure out my next stage in life. Which, of course, has such uncertainty. Clearly I don’t have much control over what the next years will bring.
    I keep going to the 7th step on the Eight-fold Path. Rather than worry about the future, if I can settle into the present with Mindfulness I feel more spaciousness and sanity. Unfortunately, I don’t seem to be able to control that either!!
    Thank you to anyone who has read this! Betsy

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)

We have so much to share with you

Get a new meditation from me every Monday morning