Jen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What goes into your ritual? #88546
    Jen
    Participant

    Good morning Susan!

    I have meditated off and on for around 10 years.

    I did not have a ritual until I took Susan’s Heart Sutra training at her home in Austin in 2022. During that training, she taught us about The Four Dharmas of Gampopa, the Seven Line Prayer of Guru Rinpoche, and the Heart Sutra.

    I’ve add the candle, incense, and other Buddhist artifacts such as the singing bowl, water bowls, prayer wheel, dorje and bell after my trip to Dharmashala in October 2023.

    I started to be more mindful and purposeful of developing and practicing with a ritual starting in January of this year, and recently (this summer) have added a brief dedication and meditation before I start working on an art piece.

    So, my practice has evolved over the past 10 years from a simple practice of sitting starting with 5 minutes one or two days a week to a formal practice on an average of 5 days a week and an a brief additional dedication before working in my art studio.

    in reply to: Happy to be here! #88540
    Jen
    Participant

    Hi Tharpa Garma! My refuge dharma name is Tepa Lhatso. I took the refuge vow with Susan in June 2021. I look forward to practicing with you.

    in reply to: Please introduce yourself: #88539
    Jen
    Participant

    Hi Amy! Welcome! I visited Spain for the first time last October. I loved it there and hope to return in the near future.

    My your trepidatious landing be met with gentleness and compassion.

    in reply to: Introducing myself… #88538
    Jen
    Participant

    Hi Betsy! So nice to continue with you in another OHP offering.

    I had the great fortune to get to know Betsy when I lived in Columbus briefly. She is a joy and a light.

    in reply to: What goes into your ritual? #88537
    Jen
    Participant

    Good morning precious sangha from Pittsburgh, PA. It is sunny this morning and 45 degrees.

    My ritual is similar to what we have discussed thus far in our program. I try to practice for at least 30-minutes a day starting in the morning. I light a remembrance candle, then an incense, fill bowls with water, ring the singing bowl 3 times, recite The Four Dharmas of Gampopa, the Seven Line Prayer of Guru Rinpoche, the Refuge Vow, The Sutra of the Heart of Transcendent Knowledge (Heart Sutra), sit quietly for 20 minutes, then chant the Heart Sutra “song” by Gaiea Snaskrit, finish with the dedication of merit – Bodhisattva Prayer for All Humanity – and a final ring of the singing bowl. If time allows, I will journal and read a book. Right now I am reading Sam Bercholz’ Rude Awakenings.

    I have a formal east facing room dedicated to my practice, my teachers, and those most dear to me. It is a bright room with lots of windows, plants, alters, various buddhist artifacts, cozy blankets and seating, books, and a bed for my sweet pup, Bella.

    On my main alter are pictures I have taken of my personal teachers such as Susan, members of my Wednesday sangha, Bridget Bailey, Pema Chodron, Lama Tsultrim Allione, the 14th Dalai Lama, my children, and closets friends. I also have various artifacts that I picket up in Dharamshala, India – a statue of the Buddha, and large painting hanging behind the alter of the Buddha, candle, bowls for water, bowl for the chime, dorje and bell, natural stones and crystals, prayer wheel, incense, and books.

    I have another alter dedicated to my late son, and a third alter dedicated to my family. On my walls hang various Buddhist tankas that have been gifted to me over the years.

    It is the most treasured room in my home.

    in reply to: Please introduce yourself: #88536
    Jen
    Participant

    Hello precious songha! I am Jennifer (Jen) White of Pittsburgh, PA.

    I have been in the OHP since late 2020, and took the refuge vow I believe in June of 2021. My refuge dharma name is Tepa Lhatso – The Divine Lake of the Teachings. For me, this name was given so that I will carry the aspiration that my mind and heart become like a pure, vast, and sacred lake that holds and perfectly reflects the profound teachings of the Buddha.

    I retired from the corporate world in 2024 after the recent deaths of my son and husband. Since that time, I relocated my parents from Texas to Pennsylvania and have been carrying for them in their final years. My mother is going blind and deaf, and my father has stage 4 cancer. I have a daughter who is currently working on her masters at the University of Texas at Austin, and will hopefully be relocating to Pittsburgh with her partner in 2027 to begin work on her doctorate. My Buddhist practice has been the foundation to helping me navigate very difficult events and the day to day challenges that I have experienced over the past years, and am eternally grateful for the OHP and Susan.

    I have a formal practice but decided to participate in the 30-Days program to deepen my focus and understanding of my lineage, and be in the spaces of our wonderful teachers, Susan and Crystal. I look forward to practicing with you all each week.

    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Jen.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Jen.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

We have so much to share with you

Get a new meditation from me every Monday morning